|Job Title:||Education Coordinator - Part Time|
|Reports to:||Senior Manager, Education Strategies|
|Location:||Wimauma, FL and working virtually|
Summary: The Education Coordinator will be housed at an after-school site or work remotely and will help recruit, train and retain Reading All-Stars volunteers, identify the children who will receive tutoring, spend time reading with the students, administer the assessments for each student, collect data and provide regular reports to United Way Suncoast (UWS). The hours will be primarily 3 pm to 6 pm, Monday through Friday, with occasional meetings or events outside that time frame.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include the Following:
(Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Responsibility for managing volunteers for UWS in alignment with this initiative. This includes answering any questions and continually supporting volunteers with ideas for session activities and any other educational, technological, and logistical components of sessions.
- Lead sessions that may be held virtually with either the student or volunteer logging in for the session. This will require a good understanding of virtual platforms and various education websites. Also requires the ability to train volunteers on how to effectively use this technology within the session needs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Elementary Education. Articulate this both verbally and in writing and able to model suitable teaching, mentoring and tutoring methods. This will include creating and overseeing individualized lesson plans for students.
- Conduct assessments with children to determine their literacy skills and growth of these skills over time. Training and mentoring with a literacy expert will be provided.
- Read with students when their volunteer Reading All-Star Reading Coach is unable to attend and/or to help the students toward their reading goals.
- Collect and report accurate data including volunteer attendance and retention and child outcomes.
- Implement goals and strategies for the Reading All-Stars Program in alignment with the mission of UWS.
- Ability to work independently at an off-site location or remotely, developing rapport with host site staff and students’ families.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree in education or related field or equivalent experience preferred. Minimum of two years in pursuit of an education degree will be considered. Must be able to demonstrate a high level of experience in teaching methods in early education. Experience working with volunteers including recruitment, engagement, and tracking preferred but not required.
Interpersonal Skills: Strong active listening, conflict resolution, coordination, facilitation, social perceptiveness, and consensus building skills necessary.
Computer Skills: Knowledge of MS office software. When conducting virtual sessions there is a need to be comfortable with Zoom, myON and other educational game sites.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motions and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: Employee primarily works in a typical after school environment under moderate heat and moderate to loud noise levels, with occasional in-the field activities within the Suncoast area. This role may also take place from home when serving in a virtual capacity.
All applicants will be required to undergo a background screening in order to meet the requirements of working with school children.
United Way Suncoast provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
*Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://careers.unitedway.org